Common Frequently Asked Questions
↓↓Please read this page before scheduling appointments!↓↓
*There is a $50 deposit (non-refundable) required when scheduling appointments to secure your appointment, the deposit will go towards your balance though! 🙂 *
(CLICK HERE FOR CLIENT AFTERCARE OR SCROLL TO THE VERY BOTTOM, THANK YOU. )
What is Microblading?
This is the process of infusing pigment into the skin with a sterile micro needle to simulate the appearance of natural hair strokes. Hair strokes are meant to be a subtle, natural enhancement and to create fuller more beautiful brows. They are not meant to replace makeup.
What is shading?
This is the process of infusing pigment into the skin with a permanent makeup machine to simulate the appearance of filled in brows. This is a good option for you if you consider yourself a perfectionist! You have the options to do microblading and shading separately, or combined! Whatever fits your style.
What’s the difference between the traditional tattooing and permanent makeup?
Where both procedures involve tattooing the skin, in traditional tattooing, pigment is added to the third layer of the skin, where in permanent makeup pigment is added to the second layer of the skin, called the Dermis, creating a final result of a soft blend of color to the tattooed area.
Is this procedure painful?
I use a very high grade Topical anesthetic to make you comfortable during your procedure. Almost all my clients have little to no discomfort. However pain tolerance varies from client to client. Having the procedure done during your menstrual cycle may increase your sensitivity.
What is involved in recovery?
There will be slight swelling and redness in the skin, which will subside quickly. You may resume normal activities immediately after the procedure (Please no Heavy exercise, shower water on brows, or sleeping on face/sides for 7 days after; and no Excessive sun exposure, swimming pools, saunas, brow makeup, facials, etc for 14 days after.) Complete healing takes 1-5 weeks while the pigmentation matures and reaches its final color.
Why Permanent Makeup?
We all no that living in the hot Arizona desert is a constant battle of trying to keep your makeup looking fresh through out the day without the constant smudging. With permanent makeup you can wake up ready to go and looking beautiful with little to no work at all. Permanent makeup is a convenient time saver with your everyday lifestyle. Its the perfect solution for anybody who has vision problem, tremors, shaky hands, seasonal allergies and or allergies to regular makeup. The list goes on and permanent makeup is the perfect solution for that.
Is it safe?
Yes! Tattooing has been done for hundreds of years and is very safe if sanitary precautions are followed properly. I employ proper OSHA sterilization and follow strict sanitary guidelines. My room is completely sterilized and wiped down with medical grade antiseptic before and after each client. New gloves are used for every client. NO needles are ever reused. EVER!
How long will it last?
Depending on what procedure you are getting done, your lifestyle, health, sun exposure, and more, typically permanent makeup will last anywhere between 1-5 yrs. However Permanent makeup will soften with time. The rate of the fading is determined by your skin (oily or dry), exfoliating agents you may use, sun exposure, medications you take, your health, metabolism, etc. This is why I recommend that you get it touched up every 1-2+ yrs (also known as “color refresh” or “retouch” appointment).
*Please note that final results vary and CANNOT be guaranteed due to the nature of skin as it heals. The follow-up appointment is recommended around 6 weeks where we can assess your pigment retention and make any changes necessary. That first time follow-up appointment done in 6-12 weeks is the same process only quicker!
Do I need a consult before getting Permanent Makeup?
You do not need one. If you have a specific question after reading this FAQ page you are welcome to text or email me. I book enough time to discuss your needs/wants at the initial appointment. if you are in need of correction work or have had your permanent makeup elsewhere, you will need to in text/email me a clear photo before booking. This way I can schedule adequate time. Though if you’re very serious about having a consult before scheduling, I can work it into my schedule and it will be $25 per consultation appointment now.
How long does the procedure take?
Initial appointments typically take 2 hours for one procedure. I block this much time away for our discussion, designing process (I draw on the brows initially), numbing, implantation of the pigment process, and then the aftercare. Follow-up (“Retention Check”) session that is scheduled 6 weeks – 10 weeks later only takes about 1 hour and is the same process, before/after care, etc.
I have had my brows tattooed before, can you fix them/touch them up?
Maybe. I require that anyone who has had their brows done previously by another artist text or email me clear good quality pictures of the area before booking an appointment. This way I can see what I would be working with and then we can discuss prices, your options and schedule sufficient time. E-mail is: PermanentByPaige@gmail.com
→ What Factors Will Affect My Procedure/Retention? ←
- Oily Skin: Increased oil production can cause hair strokes to blur and heal lighter.
- Smoking: Smokers may notice that their Semi-Permanent Cosmetics will fade faster
- Anemia and iron deficiency: Your body will absorb these iron based pigments more quickly.
- Sun exposure: Increased exposure to the sun will cause premature fading overtime. You will want to use a good quality sunscreen for your Semi-Permanent Makeup after you have healed (2+ weeks after).
- Age and metabolism: The Faster your metabolism is, the quicker the pigment will fade.
- Bleeding during the procedure: Excessive bleeding during your procedure will greatly affect how your body retains pigment. While this is not entirely in our control, it is important that you follow before care instructions to help minimize bleeding. This includes avoiding caffeine 1-2 hours before, also avoiding blood thinning medications, aspirin, ibuprofen and alcohol 72 hours before your procedure. (If prescribed by a doctor, it is recommended that you consult with them first*) (Tylenol or acetaminophen is okay!)
↓ YOU CANNOT receive Permanent Makeup currently if you are: ↓
Pregnant or Breast Feeding.
Have recently had Microdermabrasion, a facial treatment, or chemical peel within the past 2-3 weeks.
Have a freshly tanned/sunburned face.
Are currently using Accutane.
Are currently undergoing cancer treatment.
Must be off Chemo or Radiation for 6 months.
↓ *PRE-APPOINTMENT RESTRICTIONS/RULES*: ↓
Do not work out or be in a sauna the day of your appointment.
Avoid caffeine 1+ hours before your procedure. (Do it for the brows!)
Do not drink alcohol within 24 hours of your procedure.
Do not take (unless prescribed by a Doctor) any medications that thin your blood (i.e. Aspirin, fish oil, etc) 72 hours before or immediately after your procedure. Tylenol / Acetaminophen is okay. Please let us know ahead of time if you are on blood thinners & please consult with your physician to be sure you can be off of them for 72hrs.
Do not pick/tweeze/wax 1 week before the procedure.
Do not tan the day of your appointment or have a recently sunburned face or we will have to reschedule.
Do not get Botox less than 3 weeks before Microblading. (Botox can be done 3 weeks after Microblading. Your doctor should be able to determine where to place Botox injections without altering the brow position.)
Avoid chemical peels or laser treatments at least 4 weeks before Microblading. These treatments can make your skin thinner and more sensitive, resulting in more bleeding which can affect color retention. Wait 4 weeks to allow area to fully heal.
If you tint your eyebrows, wait to tint them. Your brows will also be darker than usual immediately after the treatment. You may however tint your eyebrow hair once their healed (14 days after procedure) to match the pigment if desired or needed.
Avoid facials at least 2 weeks before Microblading. Some facial treatments can make your skin thinner and more sensitive, resulting in more bleeding which can affect color retention.
♥ TIPS: HOW TO PREPARE FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT!! ♥
If you have reference pictures, please feel free to bring these to your appointment. Along with the pencil or powder you are currently using that you like. 🙂
If you tint your brows you will want to do so 7+ days before your appointment or just wait until after they’re healed (14 days)
Helpful tip!! Wash your hair before coming to the appointment. You will not be able to get your brows wet for 7 days after!! That does not mean you can’t shower, you will just have to avoid the brows in the shower (take baths or face away from water in the shower!) , and wash around them with a washcloth or makeup remover wipe when removing makeup.
You cannot use Retin-A/Retinol or any anti-aging products ON OR NEAR the brow area 2 weeks before, or on or near the brows ever after the procedure. (doing so will change the pigment color and will make the brows fade.)
You will need to avoid water on the brows for 7 days after! This includes excessive sweating, pools, lakes, salt water, and extreme sun exposure, so plan your vacations accordingly!!
No Botox, fillers, Micro-dermabrasion, chemical peels or anything of the like for at least 3 weeks prior to your procedure, and also 3 weeks after.
↓ What can I expect immediately after my Brow appointment? ↓
After your appointment, you will have new brows, but it doesn’t stop there! Protect your investment and follow the strict aftercare policy to ensure the best results. Know that the brows are essentially an open wound for the first few days and must be treated as so. The body will begin its repair/healing process and your brows will go through phases. (Please note: everyone heals differently and at different rates) Here is a quick look into the healing process and what to expect:
Day 1: In the hours following your procedure your Permanent Cosmetics will appear much bolder than it will heal due to oxidation in the surface layer of your skin. Your Permanent Cosmetics may also appear warmer in color. You may experience some redness or swelling around the treated area, this typically disappears within 48 hours. Nothing to worry about though! Remember the pigment will fade 20-40% with healing.
Day 2: Your brows could still be a bit red, tender, and may even seem a bit thicker in texture than the day before. You will notice a difference in your brows overall. Follow your aftercare & you are on your way to good healing.
Day 3-4: Brows may appear slightly darker & you may notice some flaking on the treated area, DO NOT PICK AT THEM, doing so can result in loss of pigment in those areas. Brows may appear spotty or patchy until the entire brow has finished healing. You may notice that some areas may appear very light or even to have lost pigment entirely after they have peeled, the epidermis will be thicker causing muting or diffusing of pigment underneath.
Day 5: Things begin to change a bit as the brows are darker and you notice they may begin to scab. They may be starting to itch (normal sign of healing), but refrain from touching them or picking at them for any reason! Do not disrupt the scabs for any reason as new skin is forming and healing beneath and you could scar yourself should you pre-maturely remove any scabbing. Remember you essentially have a wound on your face from the tiny little paper cuts used to created the hairstrokes. Your body is actively repairing itself, hence the scabbing. Remember this is a process. Trust it!
Days 5-7: This is the awkward period when the body is naturally shedding the scabs as necessary. Again, no picking! If you pick, you could create a scar and rip the pigment right out. If you are following the aftercare, you will begin to see the scabs shed naturally over the next few days (if you do have scabbing).
Days 8-14: The areas where the scabs have shed may appear as if you lost pigment or seem light. Please be patient as this is normal. In a few days they will even out and adjust! Remember this is new baby skin that was just created, it is going to be light and new! You might feel like your skin did not take the pigment, but that’s not the case. They may look like you filled them in with a soft powder, keep calm and trust the process! At 14 days you may use brow makeup at this time to guide you through the rest of the healing process.
At 5-6 weeks: your brows will be fully healed. Normally, clients return at the 6-10 week mark for a follow-up session to see how they healed, make any adjustments and finalize the brows to perfection! This is the point where you can decide if there is anything you would like to add to your brows now that they are healed. and if you’d prefer darker, bolder brows we can always add more color or dimension during that appointment. This is why it’s also called the “perfection visit”. 🙂
Why does Microblading/permanent cosmetics usually require 2 sessions?
This is a common question. The “touch up visit“, the “perfection visit” or the “follow up visit” is done 6-10 weeks after your initial treatment. Like many clients, you may want to be conservative for your first treatment, and request a subtle result without changing your original shape too much or going too dark.
The second visit, the Perfection Visit, is 6 weeks after the first procedure. You may have excellent pigment retention, and could easily opt to leave your brows/permanent makeup subtle and defined. However, you may love your new brows/permanent makeup so much that you want even more! At this time we can go for a bolder shape, add more density, even darken the color.
In addition to the benefit of having a chance to perfect the shape, color or density of the original work, the Perfection Visit has other important purposes. There are many factors which can effect pigment retention, making it hard to predict how well the pigment will hold after your first treatment. These factors may include: skin type, how well the aftercare instructions are followed, exposure to sun, water, or skin care products during the healing period and certain medications or health conditions.
If the pigment doesn’t retain well, it’s easy to reinforce the work during the Perfection Visit. Some skin just needs two applications to hold pigment. In rare cases, a third session may be necessary to fully perfect the design. Very minor changes can make a very big difference in the final result. It’s well worth coming in for the Perfection Visit to discuss your options. Each session is equally important and you will be very happy with your results!
→ INFORMATION FOR LIP COLOR / LIP LINER:
How long does the procedure take?
Procedure can take around 2+ hours. If you would like to receive a local anesthetic, we can do the appointment quicker.
- Am I able to purchase an injection for numbing instead of just numbing cream?
- Yes! It is $100 extra if you would like a local anesthetic from the Dentist who is also in the building! 🙂
- If prone to cold sores, fever blisters or herpes – YOU MUST obtain a prescription for Valtrex or Zovirax from your doctor. Clients usually take 2 pills two days before, 2 pills one day before, 2 pills day of and 2 pills the day after. A total of 8 pills.
- If you have had any type of lip surgery, consult with the physician about how long you should wait before having a permanent makeup procedure on the lips. If the lip surgery involves an incision (like a lip implant), give it about 6 months before tattooing on top of it.
→ INFORMATION FOR EYELINER:
- DON’T WEAR contact lens to appointment. Bring glasses & BRING SUNGLASSES TOO!
- DON’T WEAR Lash Extensions, False/Strip Lashes, or mascara/eyeliner/eye makeup to ANY Eyeliner Appointment. Please remove before coming. If you have any of those on your eyes for your eyeliner appointment you will be charged $25 extra for removal or will be required to reschedule.
- Bring sunglasses to wear home. Eyes are usually light sensitive!
- DON’T dye or perm lashes for 7 days prior.
- DON’T use eyelash curler the day of the procedure.
- DON’T use a lash growth serum for 2 weeks before or 2 weeks after your procedure.
- If you have had any type of eye surgery, consult with the physician about how long you should wait before having a permanent eyeliner procedure. Most physicians are giving around a 2 month O.K. after cataract, lasik, and blepharoplasty.
How can I book an appointment?
Please text 480-353-0090 or email me or click “Contact“.
(If you have had previous work done by a different artist, please send me over clear quality photos of your procedure area so that i may see the work before appropriately scheduling you. thank you.)
What is your cancellation policy?
I require 48 hours notice to make any changes to your appointment. Also please understand if you are going to be 10+ minutes late to your appointment, we must reschedule you! (I have a waiting list and sometimes i am booked out 4+ weeks so please schedule around your events/trips.)
Forms of payment:
I prefer Cash, but i also accept Venmo or Credit/Debit Card! 🙂
NOTE: There is a $50 non-refundable deposit required when scheduling new appointments with me to secure your appointment, the deposit will go towards your balance. Please give me a 48hr notice when rescheduling. Thank you! 🙂
***** AFTERCARE INSTRUCTIONS *****
– BROW AFTERCARE: –
- Wash GENTLY morning and night for 7 days with the blue soap provided, or with a gentle cleanser! FIRST WASH must be done within 4 hours of getting brows done. (Make sure to wash IN THE SINK, NOT IN THE SHOWER. Look in the mirror while washing so you can make sure to be EXTRA gentle. Only wipe gently in the direction of hair growth, no circles or hard rubbing. Wash will room-temp or cool water, and pat dry with clean soft towel.)
- Put on a SMALL AMOUNT of the balm I give you 4-6 times daily with a clean Q-tip for 7 DAYS. (Do not lather on, use SMALL amount. But keep moisturized throughout the day especially when feeling dry.)
- Keep brows dry (besides washing, & moisturizing with balm) until 100% healed. Aka: no scabbing or flaking left Usually 10 days.
Clients need to keep dry in the shower while healing.. steamy hot showers will cause the pores to open and scabs soften, so to be cautious, no steamy hot showers for 7 days! Avoid the water ESPECIALLY shampoo & conditioner running down.. that will cause color discoloration!
- No HEAVY exercise that cause sweating for 7 days. The salt from your sweat will cause brows to turn gray/ashy/faded!
- Avoid swimming pools, hot tubs, lakes, saunas, etc for 14 days.
- Avoid direct sunlight and tanning beds for at least 14 days. If outside, wear big hat and uv deflective sunglasses to shield your brows.
- Ice may be gently applied the first day following the procedure for 10-15 minutes per hour for a bit, only if needed.
- DO NOT pick, rub, or scratch the area. (infection and fading may occur if done.)
- DO NOT sleep on face or sides for 7 days. (We can’t always control how we sleep, however sleeping on your side or on face can result in forcing one or both brows to exfoliate sooner than needed. Prop yourself up with pillows if needed!).
- NO Makeup, brow tints and other facial treatments on the procedure area until healed (14 days).
- YOU MUST AVOID THESE PRODUCTS ON THE PROCEDURE AREA ALWAYS: Rentin-A/Retinol, Accutane or Acne products that actively stimulate lighten, or brighten the skin. These products will lighten and change the pigment color almost immediately, typically turning the procedure area ashy.
- *YOUR 1st TOUCH-UP (aka: “perfection visit” or “retention check”): Should be scheduled about 6 weeks (12 weeks at the most) after your initial procedure which is when you will be 100% fully healed. (Permanent makeup & cosmetic procedures are typically at least a two-step process.)
– EYELINER AFTERCARE: –
- No Eye Contacts to appointment. Be sure to wear sunglasses home. Eyes may be light sensitive.
- Do not use a lash growth serum for two weeks before or after your procedure
- Eyeliner will go through a light flaking stage. Do not be alarmed. This is part of the normal tattooing process.
- Swelling & Puffiness may appear (you may look like you have been crying for that day).
- Eyes may feel slightly irritated for a day or so after the procedure.
- NO WORKING OUT for at least 48 hours after the procedure.
- Try to not get eye area wet for the first 7 days. (Try taking baths or facing away from water in shower.)
- NO makeup on eye area for 7 days.
- NO swimming, chlorine, pools, lakes, for 7 days.
- YOU MUST AVOID THESE PRODUCTS ON THE AREA: Anti-Aging products, Accutane or Acne products that actively stimulate lighten, or brighten the skin. These products will lighten and change the pigment color in your skin almost immediately, typically turning the procedure area ashy or grey.
- While they are flaking do not pick, peel or force them to exfoliate, let them exfoliate on their own.
- Apply a THIN layer of Aquaphor or Vaseline with a clean Q-tip each time.
- If swelling or puffiness appears, you may use ice packs. Be sure you reapply ointment after with clean Q-Tip.
- You may also take anti-histamines if you are able to. (Such as Benadryl, Claritin, etc).
- DO NOT RUB EYES – You may use Eye drops in eyes if needed. Rubbing/scratching may result in infection &/or removal of pigment.
- *YOUR 1st TOUCH-UP should be scheduled around 6 weeks – 3 months after procedure which is when you will be healed. Permanent makeup & cosmetic procedures are typically at least a two-step process.
**** Attention: RESULTS ARE NOT 100% DETERMINED UNTIL AFTER A TOUCH-UP (“PERFECTION VISIT”/2ND APPT) IS COMPLETED!! You may need more than 2 appointments if you require correction work!! Touch-Ups may vary in price. Thank you for reading this! ****
*There is a nonrefundable $50 deposit required when scheduling appointments to secure your appointment, the deposit will go towards your balance. Please note the appointment will be given to the next client who is waiting if you are unable to place the deposit. thank you.*
Brows • Eyes • Lips • Removal
NOW OFFERING: Fibroblast Skin Tightening!🌟
10 YEARS SPECIALIZING in #permanentmakeup !
HELP SPREAD THE WORD!⤵